TMJ, or temporomandibular disorder, is pain focused around your jawbone and skull joints, causing severe headaches and discomfort with speaking, chewing, swallowing, and yawning. As your orthodontist serving Brooklyn, NY and Staten Island we know how painful TMJ/TMD can be, so we’ve come up with a few tips and tricks to help remedy your situation.
If you think you have TMJ, come visit us to discuss your symptoms. Our doctors will listen to and feel your jaw as you open and close your mouth in order to observe the range of motion. They will also press on specific areas around your jaw to better identify sites of pain and discomfort. TMJ can be pretty easy to pinpoint because the pain is specifically around the jaw area, including:
- Ringing or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent neck or headaches
- Clicking or popping sounds when you move your jaw
- Changing alignment in the top and bottom teeth
Sometimes, your TMJ pain can disappear on its own, but if pain persists, you should contact your doctor immediately. There are a few treatment options available, some of which include:
- Pain relievers/anti-inflammatories: Simple OTC medicines can help you, but if they aren’t enough, your doctor can prescribe you prescription-strength ibuprofen.
- Tricyclic antidepressants: Even though these medications are used for depression, they can also be used for pain relief related to bruxism control and sleeplessness.
- Muscle relaxants: If you use these drugs for a few days, the relaxants can help relieve TMJ disorder pain.
If you are suffering from TMJ, you can contact us at your earliest convenience to discuss your options. As your orthodontist in Brooklyn, NY and Staten Island, we offer complimentary consultations with Dr. AlJanabi and provide you with the best treatment options possible.